Welcome - Please Login or Register !

:o

Board index Game Zone X Box 360

X Box 360

price increase for x-box live

price increase for x-box live

Postby gabrile23 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:28 pm

On yahoo news.

Love playing your Xbox 360 games online? Join the crew...and please have your credit card handy, because Microsoft would like to have a word with it.

Specifically, the word "more."

On Monday, the company announced plans to raise the price of the Xbox Live Gold membership, making it the online network's first fee hike in its eight-year history. Beginning November 1, gamers in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the U.K. will have to fork over at least $10 extra per year to enjoy the premium service, which is required for playing games with (or against) pals online.

In the U.S., the annual subscription plan -- once $49.99, soon to be $59.99 -- will remain far and way the most economical. The monthly plan will see a $2 bump ($9.99/month, or $120/year), while the three-month plan will jump $5 ($24.99/month, or $100/year).

Why the sudden hike? To Xbox Live spokesman Major Nelson, someone has to pay for all the stuff they keep adding to the network, right?

Well, that's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that Microsoft remains the only one of the big three console makers to charge a fee for online play. While Sony's recently-released "Playstation Plus" upgrade gives gamers access to premium content, playing games online is still entirely free for all users. And though the Wii has lagged behind in the online gaming field, the relatively few games that support online play don't cost players extra.

But with blockbuster multiplayer games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 selling like hotcakes on the 360, Microsoft hasn't had a hard time convincing users to pay up. According to Bloomberg, a good 25 million Xbox 360 owners went Gold in the last fiscal year, netting the company about $600 million in fees alone and accounting for roughly half of Microsoft's estimated $1.2 billion in revenue via the online service. With the Xbox 360 topping charts in July and surefire seller Halo: Reach arriving September 14th, the company might need to buy a bigger wallet.

It's not all doom and gloom for 360 gamers, however. In a half-hearted attempt to make amends for the rate increase, Microsoft is letting current U.S. Xbox Live Gold members lock in one more year of membership for $39.99, a $20 premium over the coming price. Not bad, but an even thriftier move is to snap up a few discounted pre-paid cards at online retailers like Amazon. Redeem one now, then save one for next year to renew at the discounted price again. Sneaky...and sure to vanish quickly, so hop to it.

Any thoughts?
gabrile23

Re: It cost alot to (x-box) live

Postby gabrile23 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:41 pm

My thoughts real quick. First its only 10 bucks. But your not getting anything extra. Their making a huge profit on online fees ,$600 mill acording to article, so way charge more if your making an obscene ammount of money. Do they feel threatened by psn charging 50 bucks for psn plus and have to top them lol.

In any business the goal is to make as much money as possible with as little cost to them and Microsoft is very good at that.
They know that ppl will pay it. so why not?
gabrile23

Postby twistedblister » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:42 pm

yeah it sucks nuts but i pay for mine. that is why i ammmmmmmmmmmmm so hessitant to get on board with the PS3 plus. man. think back to the PS1 or if your olader NES or Gennisis days. master system super fiacom for those in the twlight like myself. any who.............
you did not need a subscription to game back then. only what you bought to play. hmmmmmmm where did we ever go wrong
MeatMonkeyMayhem

now i have no sig :-(
twistedblister

Postby gabrile23 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:57 pm

twistedblister wrote:yeah it sucks nuts but i pay for mine. that is why i ammmmmmmmmmmmm so hessitant to get on board with the PS3 plus. man. think back to the PS1 or if your olader NES or Gennisis days. master system super fiacom for those in the twlight like myself. any who.............
you did not need a subscription to game back then. only what you bought to play. hmmmmmmm where did we ever go wrong

I really don't mind psn plus because its optional. Maybe i'll get it maybe don't.
If you don't have have x-box live you miss out on half of the game.
I just hate how they're taking advantage of gamers
gabrile23

Re: price increase for x-box live

Postby twistedblister » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Yes i agree about psn plus its very cool that its optional.

xbox has us by the po po os becase even if you did not want to buy stuff you have to pay to play on line
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby fishki » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:13 pm

this sux ass
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.....I never know what those fuckers are up to.
fishki
Site Admin

Postby twistedblister » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 pm

Yeah. its way to late to complain or boycot with money. xbox is situated as one of the new big 3. sorry sega i had a dreamcast :-(
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby gabrile23 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:29 pm

twistedblister wrote:Yeah. its way to late to complain or boycot with money. xbox is situated as one of the new big 3. sorry sega i had a dreamcast :-(

It'd be cool to see a mas boycott butt I know that it won't happen.
Its just enough to be annoying but bad enough to get people motivated to do anything.
Way to microsoft.
gabrile23

Postby Noodlez » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:50 am

i saw this coming...i mean come on...microsoft is going to give xbox live one hell of an overhaul this fall that blows away anything else...its worth the extra 10 bucks since people are going to get soooo much more than just online play for 50 bucks a year
Jesus Christ walks into a hotel, he hands the innkeeper 3 nails and he asks, "Can you put me up for the night?"
Noodlez
...on crack

Postby twistedblister » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:46 am

gabrile23 wrote:It'd be cool to see a mas boycott butt I know that it won't happen.
Its just enough to be annoying but bad enough to get people motivated to do anything.
Way to microsoft.

HA a mass boycout would be earthshatering. improbable but very freaking awesome.

Noodlez wrote:i saw this coming...i mean come on...microsoft is going to give xbox live one hell of an overhaul this fall that blows away anything else...its worth the extra 10 bucks since people are going to get soooo much more than just online play for 50 bucks a year

I have not seen anything upgrade from any of the previous xbox onlive services that justify a price hike. that said xbox always charged for the online service so i hate to say it but i can accept it from them. any other console would be a kick to the teeth though.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby gabrile23 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:25 pm

I did'nt now they were upgrading live. I hope that xbox gives them their moneys worth. I still think they make more then enough money and part of the money they get should go to upgrades and added ons. If your willing to pay I guess that's up to the gamers.
gabrile23

Postby twistedblister » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 pm

No i dont think it should just be extortion and money chucked into the live service teams coffers but Xbox always from day 1 made you pay. they did not just switch mid stream. ok is it alot. depends if you are online every day hosting games and kicking but and downloading movies and renting movies. maybe not to bad. if you are an ocasional gamer and like to download addons. yeah its pretty high.

i wish them the best and hope they do some good. US based game manufacturer. been to long since we had one. i really want them to excel and make me a proud us gamer. but yeah they need to support the players.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby Noodlez » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:07 pm

well look at what you get with your xbox live account...you get weekly discounts just lik playstation plus, you get the voice chat and the 8 people party system, you can watch movies with your friends on netflix at the same time which is pretty freaking cool, you get inside xbox which is like playstation qore the show, soon youll be able to watch espn on xbox with like over 3000 games across all sports globally and thats free, on top of all this theres all the tournaments hosted on xbox live and like the different types of game nights they have plus its a better online network it runs smoother looks better and is organized a whole lot better than the playstation network, i think its worth the money, people who complain are usually oblivious to what exactly the money goes to,at least thats my opinion
Jesus Christ walks into a hotel, he hands the innkeeper 3 nails and he asks, "Can you put me up for the night?"
Noodlez
...on crack

Postby twistedblister » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Noodlez wrote: you can watch movies with your friends on netflix at the same time which is pretty freaking cool, you get inside xbox which is like playstation qore the show, soon youll be able to watch espn on xbox with like over 3000 games across all sports globally and thats free,

Ok i kind of cut and pasted out some interesting things that i was not aweare of. that is a nice value for your buck. I think that the movie sharing is awesome but out of market games. dammn if that happens i would tell everyone i know to buy an xbox.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby krazykat » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:29 am

Noodz have you turned into an XBOT? I could argue, but I have to study.
krazykat

Postby Noodlez » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:20 pm

krazykat wrote:Noodz have you turned into an XBOT? I could argue, but I have to study.
....nope...i just think people shouldn't complain about something thats a good deal, thats like complaining about free food
Noodlez
...on crack

Postby gabrile23 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Its not a bad deal if you use all the features. If you don't want to watch movies with your online feinds and don't really like watching sports you end up paying for things you don't want or that you won't use often if ever.
That kinda sucks.
Im not sure how often id use them if I had xbox. It would be nice if you had a sepreate level that was just online gaming and all the other basics.
gabrile23

Postby twistedblister » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:19 pm

Noodlez wrote:
krazykat wrote:Noodz have you turned into an XBOT? I could argue, but I have to study.
....nope...i just think people shouldn't complain about something thats a good deal, thats like complaining about free food

i am not really bashing just pointing out my view. hey i have the bioware games on the box. i just downloaded the dragon age and masseffect 2 dlc's i do use it sort of.

gabrile23 wrote:Im not sure how often id use them if I had xbox. It would be nice if you had a sepreate level that was just online gaming and all the other basics.

nice point gabe
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby krazykat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:54 pm

Noodlez wrote:

You pay $60 for your food? :nen:
XBOX Live only bothers me for the single fact that online is not free. Paying 60 for an updated interface, cross game chat, cheaper content, all that stuff, which I'm sure MS could do better than Sony if they really wanted would be fine. When I think of a game I think of its online and offline. I don't think of the game as two separate portions, so why should I be paying as if it were? Just my view.
krazykat

Return to X Box 360