Welcome - Please Login or Register !

:o

Board index Playstation 3 Reviews

Reviews

Mortal Kombat II (PSN)

Mortal Kombat II (PSN)

Postby Phil0926 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:45 am

Intro:

If there is one game I review that doesn't need an introduction its Mortal Kombat II. The game was a super huge success in 1994. It took the gore obsessed motion captured fighting of the first one and added a lot more depth and balance to it, making it one of the best 2D fighters of all time and now we got it here in its pure Arcade glory on the PSN. And note this is a review of a classic game, im not reviewing this like a game made from today because that would be stupid, so without further ado here is my Mortal Kombat II review.

Controls:

The controls here are just like they were on the Sega and SNES back in the day, except they have the speed and response of the Arcade version, if your using a Joystick youll be good here. Those of you new to Mortal Kombat here is the low down. L1 and R1 are block, Triangle is High Kick, Circle is Low Kick, Square is High Punch, and X is Low Punch. All easy to access, all responsive i give controls a 9 for simply standing the test of time.

Gameplay:

The gameplay here was intense, fast paced, and took a lot of on-the-spot thinking. Every character has the same basic attacks and performed them all identically but what made them different was they add had Strengths and weakness at standard moves like uppercuts and jump kicks and most importantly they all had an arsenal of 3-5 special moves. The special moves were all fairly balanced for the most part and are all a joy to watch and to really tick your opponent off when you defeated them you had the choice of doing either 1 of 2 Fatalities which are moves that mutilate your opponent in the most gruesome of ways, or perform a non lethal Friendship or the ridiculous Babality which turned your opponent into a baby. There isn't a perfect balance mind you but it is fairly balance and it has aged quite well, its still a blast to play competitively especially since this PSN version now has the ability to play this truly great classic ONLINE!. In my opinion this game has the most balanced gameplay in the series so I give it an 8 in this field.

Graphics:

At the time these were top notch 2D visuals, and they still don't look all that bad today for a 2D game. The animations are fluid, the gore is plentiful, and fatalities will still make everyone laugh and cheer when you pull them off after embarrassing you opponent. Not much depth to go into here, the only real negative aspect i can say is that the two female Ninjas are identical for the most part but its no biggie considering one is supposed to be a clone of the other and they play 100% differently. I also liked the artistic style of this one the most because it kept its Asian themed more consistent than the other games in the series. I give visuals about a 7.6 they've aged but not too bad, I have seen much worse looking games for this area in this genre. But on this particular arcade version i will point out that the menus are kind of bland before getting into the game and if your not on a standard TV, your going to have press select and stretch the game out if you want it Full Screen since this definitely is not an HD title. Regardless, my score stands.

Sound:

The sound in the game is pretty much in tact, it still sounds great like it did way back in the day. The announcer is still dark and ominous, the yells and grunts are still over-the-top, and music is still something you'd expect to hear a low end Chinese buffet. What can i say its Mortal Kombat. I say sound for the game it self deserves an 8 but the sounds for the Menu and whatnot before you get started get a 7 for the simple fact that they are much much louder than those in the game, but for some reason all of Midways PSN Arcade titles are like this, so if this isn't your first you know exactly what I am talking about.

FINAL VERDICT:

What can i say its Mortal Kombat II in all its bloody over-the-top arcade glory and now its on our PS3 with Online support. There is no reason why anyone here who likes fighting games or has a competitive bone in their body should not go and buy this classic for 4.99. It may not be a feature packed remake and the menus may not even be all that great, Its five dollars and its online Mortal Kombat. What do you have to lose?

one more pic for old times sake.

Phil0926

Re: Mortal Kombat II (PSN)

Postby hippo99 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:53 am

another good review :yeh:
I PWN!!!!!
>:0
hippo99

Postby twistedblister » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:36 am

wow . nice job Phil. Let me say this game was a favorite of mine and it brings back memories. My only issue with it is do i want to pay again for it. I mean the old Snes / Ps2 graphics are dated but since i actually own the game twice allready the only neat aspect that might draw me to this would be online play. If i was a fan and had never owned it I would probably pick it up. :-)

babality

ha

just for my curiosity how is the lag ?
MeatMonkeyMayhem

now i have no sig :-(
twistedblister

Postby Phil0926 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:10 pm

Good question, because online fighting games are definitely known for Lag but youd be happy to know that there is virtually none here. Every now and then ill come across a player with it but its hardly as often as it is on Tekken 5 DR Online.
Phil0926

Postby tekkentool » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:32 am

Phil0926 wrote:Good question, because online fighting games are definitely known for Lag but youd be happy to know that there is virtually none here. Every now and then ill come across a player with it but its hardly as often as it is on Tekken 5 DR Online.

i hope they fix that by tekken 6
sorry i can't brain today, i have the dumb
tekkentool

Postby twistedblister » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:51 am

cool thanks Phil. Yeah Tekkens lag is awful. I have stoped palying that online. I might breakdown and pick this up.

TT a good way to gauge how teken 6 might work online will be how good SoulCalibur cuts the lag when it launches. just a geuss.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:20 pm

This phill guys reviews are good too good.

Postby twistedblister » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:40 pm

ha. yeah i almost expect a bill after reading some of these. ha. my billing address is

mr Andromeda Kill dozer
4th along the way washroom on the right
amtrack station in the back
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby cloud945076 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:54 pm

twistedblister wrote:ha. yeah i almost expect a bill after reading some of these. ha

me 2.
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby twistedblister » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:05 pm

that previous post was shamless comdedic theft. no bones about it.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby cloud945076 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:16 pm

shamless?

or shamEless?
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby twistedblister » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:33 pm

Finally downloaded it. now i have to break out a 10 to 15 year old game guide. ha. its a antique :-)

I dont know what i typed cloud. I had meant to type Shameless.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby hippo99 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:35 pm

OK
I PWN!!!!!
hippo99

Postby twistedblister » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:30 am

god i suck at this game. now. ha. I will play you guys if you have it. man this is fighting destilled to its esetntials. awesome clasic game. nice to be albe to play friends online. I have to practice my finishing moves agiain.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby Phil0926 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:35 pm

well my PSN is Phil0926. Ill gladly show off my skill on ya
Phil0926

Postby gemroz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:08 pm

Phil0926 wrote:well my PSN is Phil0926. Ill gladly show off my skill on ya

Aw yea. Give him the business Phil! lol
gemroz

Postby hippo99 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:09 pm

;vil: :vil2:
I PWN!!!!!
hippo99

Postby fishki » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:09 am

gemroz wrote:
Phil0926 wrote:well my PSN is Phil0926. Ill gladly show off my skill on ya

Aw yea. Give him the business Phil! lol

oh yeah... i wanna watch this :D
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.....I never know what those fuckers are up to.
fishki
Site Admin

Return to Reviews