Welcome - Please Login or Register !

:o

Board index Playstation 3 Reviews

Reviews

A Company In Retrospect: ID Software

A Company In Retrospect: ID Software

Postby Phil0926 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:12 am

As i stated in a previous post, I was going to start doing these retrospects and who better to start with than the fathers of the FPS genre temselves; ID Software.

ID Software is just a name to the average gamer. They see ID and they immediately think Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake, which is a fair thing to think considering it is two big contributions they made, but to programmers ID Software is a testament of true talent and innovation. IDs initial team were all programmers for SoftDisk, a company in the early 80s who specialized in Disk based magazine or Disczettes as they called them. But it was around the late 80s when the four programmers ( John Carmak, John Reomero, Adrian Carmack, and Tom Hall) started tooling with games and since they had a contract to fulfill with SoftDisc thats who published their first efforts. They games they made were Hovertank 3D, Shadow Knights, Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Castle, and the revolutionary Catacomb 3D,

which is noted ( and debated by many) as the first true (though not really TRUE) 3D first person game ever created, showing not only things from a 3D view but also showing the players hand on screen to further give the illusion that its through the players eyes. Anyways after the contact was up the 4 split and created ID Software and developed their first game under the title Commander Keen which took the side scrolling of Super Mario and added guns to the mix. The title is noted for its pioneering use of Shareware (which would usually be 1/3 of a full game you could share with people via a floppy) and the use of then new tech EGA(Enhanced Graphics Accelerator) graphics

Well anyways after that we all know what happened, they made and released Wolfenstein which in turn led to the game that needs no introduction, DOOM and ever since ID has been the main developer for Video game engines on PC and Consoles. For the past 20 years they've been cranking out engines that damn near everyone bases the big titles on. From 1994 and on you couldnt walk into an electronics store without seeing a DOOM clone or a game based on its engine made by ID. The DOOM engine pretty much was the backbone of PC gaming up to 1996 when IDs next big release Quake came out. You name a 3rd party title on PC theres a really big chance its based on an ID engine or on the Build engine which was basically the same thing with higher texture support.

Hexen

Even to this day big name titles (Call of Duty 4, Medal of Honor games) use a modded version of one of IDs engines. So basically comes to this. What can ID possibly do next. The ID Tech 4 Engine has been the least commercialized of anything ID has released but you can hardly write it off without the shading tech and high textures it introduced i doubt Unreal Engine 3 would have looked the way it did, and ID Tech 5 gets showcased this year with Rage and Doom 4. Will it be the next ID Tech 3 engine that will be modded for years to come or will it slump to a small release like ID Tech 4. Who knows but one thing is for sure, its apparent that over the years these guys especially lead programmer John Cormack have proved time and time again that they were and still are the best of the best. Because though Unreal Engine 3 is being used alot on Consoles, it has nothing on the staying power of IDs tech. You can get on Qtracker or QIRC and still see hundreds of Quake 1 and Quake 2 servers. Hell look no further than QuakeCon held every year in Dallas to truly see their staying Power. One thing is for sure we owe a hell of a lot to ID because without them we may not be where we are today in terms of 3D visuals.

Doom

Doom II

Quake 1

Quake 2
Phil0926

Re: A Company In Retrospect: ID Software

Postby DWOMT » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:53 pm

I love you Phil
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
George S. Patton
DWOMT

Postby Noodlez » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:03 pm

awesome stuff there phil
Jesus Christ walks into a hotel, he hands the innkeeper 3 nails and he asks, "Can you put me up for the night?"
Noodlez
...on crack

Postby fishki » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:37 pm

why is this in the music forum?
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.....I never know what those fuckers are up to.
fishki
Site Admin

Postby Phil0926 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:38 pm

dont ask me i posted it somewhere else and it showed up here
Phil0926

Postby fishki » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:39 pm

:rofl I was prolly the first one to see this after it was posted....I didnt say nothin, just wanted to see if anyone else noticed
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.....I never know what those fuckers are up to.
fishki
Site Admin

Postby twistedblister » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:41 pm

DW you crack me up.

nice one and thought provoking Phil.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

now i have no sig :-(
twistedblister

Postby hippo999 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:43 pm

:yeh:
hippo999
Team Killer

Postby twistedblister » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:43 pm

maybe its music to someones ears. ha.

phil do you want us to move this ?
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby Phil0926 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:45 pm

well if you can sure if not i guess dont worry about it
Phil0926

Postby stickcult » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Awesome. One thing I love about ID is that they open source their old engines. It is so cool to be able to look inside what made games I used to play run..I can't wait for them to open source ID Tech 4 sometime this year..
O.o

Ryan pwnd me.
stickcult
Riot Police

Postby twistedblister » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:41 am

Bot. Ill fix it when I get home unless fish beats me to it. Sadly I thought phill came back.

taptalk jugernaut
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby fishki » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:04 pm

wow, talk about bumping a 3 year old thread.... no brains for the bots.... :multi:

the pleasure is all yours tb :yeh:
fishki
Site Admin

Postby twistedblister » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:07 pm

ha. you got it fishyman i will knock it out now.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Return to Reviews