Welcome - Please Login or Register !

:o

Talk About Anything

Tonite Feb 25th

Tonite Feb 25th

Postby fishki » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:04 pm

planet alignment with the crescent moon

go outside and look west
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.....I never know what those fuckers are up to.
fishki
Site Admin

Re: Tonite Feb 25th

Postby Drew » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:54 pm

Hard to see in the city, but I will try. Maybe I'll drive to the coast after dinner... Doubtful.. ha.

~wired on dark chocolate~
Drew

Postby twistedblister » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Damn that is awesome and makes me wish i had bought a telescope. I will go look for a little bit any way. I love that stuff
MeatMonkeyMayhem

now i have no sig :-(
twistedblister

Postby fishki » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:07 pm

yeah tb, me and nemo are into that also.
im saving up for this 11 inch,
http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/ca ... er-CELE348

hope to have it by this summer, my little 4 inch reflector is not enough anymore and one of the eyepieces is fkd up

just find the moon, they are the 2 brightest objects near it :yeh:
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.....I never know what those fuckers are up to.
fishki
Site Admin

Postby Drew » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:42 am

That looks like a nice scope.

Well we couldn't find the moon. And we didn't go all the way to the coast. Just to the last high point in the city before it all goes down hill. I used a star chart app to locate where they were supposed to be and we saw 2 bright stars that could have been planets.

A couple years back there was this Guy outside of a blockbuster with a big telescope. He showed us Saturn. That was awesome you could see the ring and everything. Totally random to just find telescope Guy on the sidewalk in the city but hey, why not.

Anyway here's a screen shot of the star chart I used. It also says there are fishes in the sky :D

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1330238519220.jpg
Drew

Postby fishki » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:08 am

lol yeah the pisces zodiac, you were in the right place , just to late, you can try again tonite, last chance cause the moons exiting out of position, go out at sunset and look west, Venus and Jupiter pop out of the twilight even before the sky fades completely black, the angle narrows to only 10 degrees, so close that you can hide them together behind your outstretched palm.

Another great shot in march on the 12th and 13th when they are only 3 degrees apart, making a double beacon that you can hide behind a pair of fingertips.

There is really nothing spectacular about planetary alignment, it is just that this time the crescent moon is sweetening the pot in its position laying there in a triangle with venus jupiter and the moon as vertices, and believe it or not it has to do with the human eye that makes some of these alignments better.

The phenomenon is based on the anatomy of the human eye. There’s a tiny patch of tissue near the center of the retina where cones are extra-densely packed. This is called the fovea. Whatever you see with the fovea, you see in high-definition The field of view of the fovea is only about five degrees wide. Most nights in March, Venus and Jupiter will fit within that narrow cone. And when they do—presto! It’s spellbinding astronomy.
fishki
Site Admin

Postby Drew » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Nice, doubt I'll get a chance to check tonight. Got a friend in town that I haven't seen in 10 years.

Drew

Postby twistedblister » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 pm

no love for me. i have dense fog. its like looking into nothing. i would swear you cant see 100 feet into the air in all directions right now.

ok fish you just gave me nerd envey. wow. 11 inches
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby Drew » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:49 am

twistedblister wrote:no love for me. i have dense fog. its like looking into nothing. i would swear you cant see 100 feet into the air in all directions right now.

ok fish you just gave me nerd envey. wow. 11 inches

That last line almost doesn't sound right .. lmao :D

I love the fog, we get a lot here in SF. Yeah I got to see the crescent moon while driving to dinner. I couldn't really see but the wife said she saw some planets. I got a really good view on the drive home. But could only see one planet, couldn't really look long but it was there :)

It was all in the clouds by the time we got back to the city though.

Drew

Postby twistedblister » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 am

Ha I did that on pirpose. I have seen SF fog,in person once. I would dig going back one day.. After I looked last night I did not check again

taptalk jugernaut
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby twistedblister » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:10 pm

I think i got to see them by the moons lower left side tonight. :-)
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby fishki » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:10 pm

The two of them are sitting side by side in the sky tonite.... no clouds :yeh:
fishki
Site Admin

Postby twistedblister » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:18 pm

cool i did see them the other night but they were on the right and not left like i had posted. i will peek out shortly. we have lots of rain so it might not be so clear here.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby Drew » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Definitely too cloudy here :(

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Drew

Return to Talk About Anything